Responding to Increased Demand for SlingStudio Due to COVID-19
As state and local governments enact restrictions on public events during the COVID-19 coronavirus epidemic, there has been tremendous interest in live streaming solutions, so we created this post to answer the most common questions about SlingStudio.
You can stream or record your event using a smartphone, but SlingStudio gives you the ability to easily add additional camera angles, compose lower-thirds on the fly, import graphics, integrate audio mixers and microphones, and much more. Most importantly, SlingStudio is affordable, very easy to use, and quick to deploy.
Features & Benefits
- Affordable – You can get started for $999 MSRP with just the SlingStudio hub and still show multiple angles. One camera can be hard-wired directly into hub using an HDMI cable and Apple and Android smartphones can connect as additional video sources using our free apps.
- Easy to use – SlingStudio is used by middle school students, church volunteers, independent content creators and video novices. When used with an iPad, it’s literally as easy as drag-and-drop.
- Multi-camera – Engage your audience by easily switching between wide shots, close-ups, PowerPoints/presentations, etc.
- Works with your existing gear – SlingStudio works with practically any camera that outputs clean HDMI, whether that’s a fancy camcorder, consumer video camera, action cam, or DSLR.
- Wireless – Not only can SlingStudio wirelessly bring in multiple video sources using the CameraLink transmitters (300ft range), but the entire system can be run off battery power for at least two hours.
- Portable & versatile – An entire SlingStudio kit, with accessories, can fit into a small backpack and a multi-camera production can be set up on-site in less than 15 minutes.
- One time purchase – SlingStudio is a one time purchase of the hardware. There are no ongoing subscription fees and all our apps are free.
- Non-proprietary – SlingStudio is a lot like a traditional video mixer/switcher. It uses non-proprietary HDMI ports (input and output), creates standard MP4 (H264) video files, accepts audio inputs via a ⅛” mini stereo jack, etc.
- Reach your audience on multiple platforms – SlingStudio can stream directly to Facebook, YouTube or Vimeo with just a few clicks, or you can stream to virtually ANY streaming service using the universal RTMP protocol. You can also stream to multiple platforms at the same time using a third-party multi-casting solution like Restream.io.
Important Things to Know
- A Mac desktop/laptop or iPad is required to run the main SlingStudio Console app. Windows is not supported. However, both Apple and Android smartphones can be used as video capture devices.
- SlingStudio can operate completely on battery power for at least two hours (accessories required), but you may plug in for power for longer productions.
- Make sure you have the correct HDMI cables for connecting your video devices. While TVs use standard HDMI, your cameras may use mini HDMI or micro HDMI.
- SlingStudio is only available for sale in the US and Canada.
Popular Use Cases
- Churches – SlingStudio is already used by hundreds of churches across the nation to stream services, community events, and more. The system can easily integrate with existing audio mixers to bring in “house sound”.
- Public Affairs & Corporate Communications – SlingStudio is a popular solution for corporate communications, press conferences, governmental affairs, legal depositions, etc. because it can be easily operated by in-house staff at a moment’s notice; no outside vendors or production crews required.
- Schools & Remote Learning – With schools and institutions scrambling for remote learning solutions, SlingStudio uniquely stands out as the most affordable, portable and versatile solution that can be used all around campus, from the classroom to the auditorium.
- Community Outreach – As people are asked to stay home for extended periods of time, it becomes all the more important to feel connected to one’s community. Use SlingStudio to broadcast band performances from local venues, show behind-the-scenes operations of local businesses, help promote fundraisers, interview local officials, etc.
- Two Way Conferencing using SlingStudio – While SlingStudio was designed to be a one-way streaming device (one-to-many), it can also be used for two-way teleconferencing alongside popular services like Zoom, Webex, GoToMeeting, BlueJeans, Skype, Microsoft Teams, Google Hangouts, etc. To do so, simply run your teleconferencing software full-screen on a computer and feed that source into the SlingStudio.
Where to Buy
Other Useful Links
- SlingStudio YouTube Channel
- Tech specs
- Integrating external audio mixers
- Product comparison chart
- User group on Facebook
- Contact support with pre-sales questions